How to take care shrubs? - Knowledgebase Question

Oak Ridge, Te
Question by swe1995
I have several shrubs around house, and I was told that these evergreen plants are called Manhattans. The plants got inset bites on the leaves, and application of ORTHO Tree & Shrub Insect Control did not help very much. I would like to know if there are better chemicals available. Also, I would appreciate your suggestion about applying fertilizer (type, amount and application time). Many thanks!

0

Euonymus is often called the Manhattan shrub and it has two common insect problems. Scale insects, which attach themselves to the stems and undersides of the leaves, and aphids, which attack the new leaves and cause curling and yellowing when they feed. Orthos tree and Shrub Insect Control should control both of these pests. It is possible that root weevils have attacked your plant. If so, you'll see notches along the edges of the leaves. Root weevil grubs feed on the roots of shrubs and the adults climb up the stems of the plants and feed on the leaves, making notches on the edges of the leaves. If this is what you are seeing you may need to use a systemic insecticide such as Merit or Bonide. These are soil drenches and will kill the grubs as well as the adults who feed on the leaves. Your Euonymus will benefit from a springtime feeding of a general purpose 5-10-10 fertilizer. Apply in amounts as recommended on the fertilizer label. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"