More questions about my lawn. - Knowledgebase Question

Sammamish, Wa
Question by tanyatch
What should I do first? Rake the moss out and overseed. Then aerate? How much later? Or should I aerate before overseeding? And there are local sources in Seattle that advise to put lime in the ground in Jan-Feb and not in the Fall. What is better?

Thank you.
Tatyana

0

I'd rake out the moss first then mow the lawn to remove as much of the moss debris as possible. Then I'd rent a core aerator and aerate the entire lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn - they will dissolve in the rain or with water from the hose. You can then spread a thin layer of peat moss or compost over the lawn and broadcast your seeds. I'd aerate and overseed in March or April. Lime can change the soil's pH but it takes several months for it to work its way into the soil. We recommend you lime your lawn in the fall, especially since you'll be aerating and overseeding in the late winter/early spring. (Lime can retard the seed germination and turf growth.) Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"