Anna Apple tree - Knowledgebase Question

Yorba Linda, Ca
Question by deastmn10
I have a Anna Apple tree, and it has codling moths. Lost track now, I think this is the 4 year with them. I trying to get my husband to cut the branches off and was told at Super Bowl time. I live in Yorba Linda (near Disneyland) we're having rain frequent so we've had to hold off. Do we cut off all branches and leave the main ones, & what angle? Then tar ends, and spray with insecticide?

0

Coddling moth larvae are usually found in the core area of the apple. The adult lays eggs inside apple blossoms. When the fruit forms, the egg hatches into a worm-like larvae. Apple maggot is the immature form of an adult fly. The fly lays eggs just under the skin of the developing apple. When the eggs hatch, the larvae tunnel throughout the flesh of the apple, leaving rust-colored frass (bug poop). When it's time to leave the apple, the larvae digs an exit hole, spins a web, and pupates in the soil below the tree, where it emerges as an adult some months later. Control of these pests is difficult. Repeated applications of insecticide every 10 to 14 days are usually needed from petal-fall to near harvest. Sprays are most effective when applied just before newly hatched larvae attempt to enter the apples. If you are using a pheromone trap to monitor codling moth, the best time to spray is two weeks after the first moth catch or one week after a peak catch. Use an all-purpose fruit tree mixture or the insecticide phosmet (Imidan). Carbaryl (Sevin) will also control codling moth, but it should not be used within 30 days of full bloom because fruit thinning will result.

While you should prune your trees on an annual basis, pruning won't usually control codling moths. When you prune during the winter months you won't need to use tar or other wound dressings. Hope this information answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"