Eureka lemon tree - Knowledgebase Question

sebring, Fl
Question by vaneppsmicha
I have a lemon tree bought 3yrs ago that had lemons on it. Ever since then it would blossom, the blossoms would open up and fall off producing no lemons. It is a potted tree it gets watered and fertilized according to the directions. It is in blossom now and doing the same thing. It gets plenty of sun. I've seen bees on the blossems. I hope that you can help me.

0

It sounds as though you're giving your tree all the care it needs so lack of fruit production can be puzzling. Citrus trees tend to produce far more flowers than they are capable of developing into to fruit so it's not unusual for many of the blossoms to fall off without developing into lemons. Water stress, lack of nutrients and a cold snap can also keep a lemon tree from producing but since you're watering and fertiliing regularly, those conditions probably aren't contributing to lack of fruit set. Even though citrus trees are self-fertile, you may need to give the tree a little help with the pollination process. This can be done in one of two ways. The easiest & quickest way is to give the tree a good shake when the flowers are open, or you can dab pollen from one flower to another using a cotton swab or small paintbrush. Bees and butterflies usually do a great job of pollinating the tree if it is outdoors but sometimes you need to offer a little assistance. I hope this helps and you have a bountiful harvest.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"