Mole Elimination - Knowledgebase Question

Loudonville, Oh
Question by tena_ric
I followed your suggestions from last year and used grub killer, but already our yard is loaded with piles of mud and tunnels. There were very few Japanes Beetles. We are dealing with aprox. 2 acres and several flower beds. It seems the buggers just move to another area. It is very expensive to treat the lawn and have such little results. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

0

I know moles are annoying! Controlling the grubs was a good first step. The only sure way of eliminating moles and voles is to trap them. You can be successful if you set the traps in the main runs rather than in lateral tunnels. Moles use the main run frequently, but the laterals go to sleeping dens and places where they pile debris. To find the main run put on your detective cap and carry a long, thin stick or metal probe. Start exploring the yard, trying to find the direction and location of a long, straight tunnel. Once you've eliminated the short runs and honed in on the main tunnel, carefully set your trap (scissors-type traps are most effective). Cover the top of the trap with a piece of plywood or sod to eliminate light or you'll scare the critters away. Properly set in the main tunnel, your trap should net you a mole. Empty the trap and reset it as often as necessary to get all of the moles. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"