Staghorn Fern help! - Knowledgebase Question

Cape Coral, Fl
Question by kristinaorti
I have a huge staghorn fern which has overgrown its hanging basket and can no longer be hung. How do I split the plant & re-plant it in smaller hanging baskets? What type of soil or growing material goes in the baskets?
Thanks!
PS. I live in SWFL

0

To divide a large staghorn fern, you can cut the plant apart. Start by watering the staghorn fern thoroughly the day before you plan to divide the plant. A few hours before you divide the staghorn fern, place a large handful of sphagnum moss in a bowl of water, and allow the moss to soak until it's saturated.

Look carefully at the plant and you'll be able to see obvious divisions in the fern between the original plant and the smaller "pups." Use a serrated knife to cut the staghorn fern between the main part of the fern and the pups, cutting deeply enough to sever the roots. If the plant is extremely large, you may need to use a saw. You can cut the staghorn fern into two larger sections or several small sections, but larger sections will rebound faster.

Squeeze the excess water from the sphagnum moss. Pack a clump of damp moss around the newly divided pup, and the area on the parent plant where the pup was removed.

Mount the newly-divided pup on a sturdy board. Attach with plastic-coated wire or wrap to the board with fishing line. Be sure the new fern is facing the same way that it was facing previously. Hang the staghorn fern in a shady place where it will be sheltered from heavy winds.

Best wishes with your divisions!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"