pet-proof lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Hicksville, Ne
Question by jjill21
My daughter has two adorable dogs. We have lots of mud :(, love the pups, but need something that will meet the objective of a pleasant backyard and a place for dogs to enjoy. They are not particularly destructive, just playful. Two grass seedings with landscapers have not fully worked. Any suggestions?

0

Dogs are pretty hard on any turf or groundcovers. I wish there were an easy answer but sometimes the only solution is to fence off the damaged areas for a while to give them time to recover. If you can put up a temporary fence to exclude the dogs you can revamp one part of the yard while giving them free reign in the other. Once part of the lawn is up and growing, exclude them from the second area so you can revamp that part of the yard. Start by raking out all the dead grass and debris then overseeding the lawn. After it has come up and has been mowed, you can feed the lawn. We usually recommend feeding 3-4 times a year: April, June, September and late November. Keeping your lawn on a regular feeding, watering and mowing schedule will help it grow lush and thick and more able to withstand the traffic of your pets. I hesitate to suggest groundcovers in place of the lawn because most flower and attract bees. I'd hate to be responsible for stings! Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"