compost turnable tub - Knowledgebase Question

Tucson, Ar
Question by jrkwal
this is my 1st year with my tumbler.I have things on top uncomposted,& composted at the bottom. I can no longer turn this thing, do I take the uncomposted stuff out and get out the good stuff and start over? Can I add worms to the barrel to speed up the prosscess or what else would work?
Thanks Marylee

0

I think I'd dump the contents, remove the finished compost and then put the unfinished material back into the bin. It will decompose faster if you turn it regularly, but even regular turning won't hasten decomposition during the winter months. So, the best approach is to add new material all spring and summer, then stop adding new material in October. That's when the weather cools down and the decomposition process slows. Keep turning the tumbler all winter long and by this time next year, the bin should be full of finished compost. Don't add worms - as your compost gets hot, it will kill the worms.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"