sunflowers - Knowledgebase Question

albuquerque, NM
Question by terrapin621
I just read the online newsletter and it says that sunflower seeds won't stop other seeds from germinating. I don't think that's accurate. Can you explain?

0

There is an alleopathic chemical in the hulls of sunflower seeds. It is a growth inhibitor and may very well affect seeds directly next to the sunflower seeds. The purpose of this alleopathic chemical is two-fold. It keeps competing weeds from overtaking an area where the new plant will grow, and it prevents the seed inside the hull from emerging at the wrong time of the year. Once rain has washed the chemical off the hull, which generally takes fall, winter and spring rains, the seed inside can emerge, expecting warm spring weather and the conditions it needs to grow into a healthy plant. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"