APPLYING PEREMERGE LAWN PRODUCTS - Knowledgebase Question

west trenton, Ne
Question by ratticks
I plan on applying premerge crabgrass control this spring. my question how long before or after do i have to wait before re seeding ?

0

Pre emergents will stop seeds from germinating so you'll need to seed before you apply a pre emergent or you'll need apply your pre emergent in the early spring and wait to overseed your lawn sometime in the fall. In the case of some pre emergents (Scotts Turfbuilder Plus Halts, for instance) you may have to wait 4 months before seeding your lawn. Here's the dilema: Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass because the compound prevents the weed seed from germinating. Watch the weather - late April to early May is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. So, the decision is yours - crabgrass control now and seeding in the fall or seeding now, then mowing the lawn 2-3 times before applying a pre emergent.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"