When and How to Prune - Knowledgebase Question

Spring, Te
Question by caschmidt
When and how should I prune our Texas Sage bush. We planted it in front yard, but it took a good year before it even began to grow! Now its too big and would like to prune it back. Thank you.

0

Texas sage can be pruned back drastically without harm, once the roots are established. I generally shear mine back by one third when it finishes flowering and it responds by growing lots and lots of new leaves and stems. When it becomes overgrown it can be cut back to ground level and it will sprout new stems in the spring. If you'd like to maintain your plant at a specific size you can simply prune it back to about 6 inches lower and in diameter than the desired size in the winter months and it will grow in the spring. Shear it back after it has finished flowering and shear it back again the following winter. Regular shearing will keep your Texas sage full and bushy - and loaded with flowers. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"