Yucca Tip plant - Knowledgebase Question

Stanwood, Io
Question by Kflock5966
My cat decided to use my Yucca Tip Plant as his new scratching post. ACK!
The trunk is clawed/shredded. Will my yucca be okay? Do I need to buy a wrap of some sort to protect the trunk while it heals? Will the bark grow back?
Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Thanks so much.

Lisa

0

It's difficult to tell without seeing the damage whether or not your yucca is severely damaged or the clawing is simply superficial. I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and continue to give the yucca good care. With any luck it will heal over the damage. To prevent further damage, I'd push some stakes into the soil and wrap something protective over the stakes to enclose the trunk. You can use a sheer or cotton fabric to make it look decorative. Don't put anything directly on the trunk - make sure there are several inches of space between the stakes and the trunk. This will allow good air circulation around the trunk which will help with the healing process. When the trunk has healed (and your cat finds other places to claw) you can remove the protective barrier.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"