What can I do having a large property with my lawn? - Knowledgebase Question

Felton, Pe
Question by roadrunner77
Every year I fertilized my lawn and it is costly but nothing changes. I use Scotts turf builder but the weeds still take over my lawn.I have an acre and a half. Is there something less costly that would work on weeds and green up my lawn?

0

A thick, healthy lawn will crowd out most weeds so your goal is to help your lawn become lush and thick. You might start with aeration and/or power raking if you haven't done either within the past 4-5 years. If your lawn has a thick layer of thatch, you might start by power raking to remove the thatch. Thatch can keep water from penetrating into the soil which can result in weak turfgrass. Soil can become compacted, which makes it difficult for roots to penetrate deeply and for water to soak down deep into the ground. You can rent a core aerator which removes one inch by three inch plugs of soil. Leave the plugs on the lawn where they will dissolve with rainwater or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer or sand or compost over the lawn. Either material will works its way down into the holes left by the aeration process and provide a nice place for roots to grow and moisture to be retained. You can overseed your lawn after you've spread the sand or compost.

If you regularly mow your lawn, water deeply once or twice a week and feed with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK in April, June, September and November, your lawn should green up and grow lush and thick.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"