What small plants would look good in front of my short hedge - Knowledgebase Question

Boca Raton, Fl
Question by metmar
Hi, I have a hedge of podocarpus (about 2 and a half to 3 feet tall) at the front of my home. The area doesn't get much sun as it faces north. I'ld like a row of short shrubs or plants (perennials)to go in front of the podacarpus. It should be about 12

0

You might try Aglaonema (Aglaonema commutatum). It grows about 18 inches tall in partial to full shade. It's a small, herbaceous perennial with fleshy stems, branching from the base, and slender-stalked leaves up to about 12 inches long. Flowering stems have a narrow, pale green spathe enclosing a small white spadix. It is drought tolerant. Moss verbena (Glandularia puchella) grows about 12" in full sun to part shade. It is freely branching, with 3-lobed, finely dissected, aromatic leaves and clusters of pink, lilac, purple or white flowers. Requires well-drained soil. Attracts butterflies. Daylily (Hemerocallis) grows 12-18 inches tall in full sun or partial shade. It's a clump forming perennial with grass-like leaves and lily-like flowers from late spring to fall, depending on variety. Available in yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, and near-white. Or, try Kalanchoe, a small, shrubby perennail with multiple, upstretched branches covered with round to rectangular, deep green leaves with red margins and notched tips. Thick racemes of small, deep red, cylindrical flowers appear from winter to early summer; may also be pink, yellow, or orange. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"