GARDENING - Knowledgebase Question

SUFFOLK, Vi
Question by DJAMMINJ1
WHEN CAN WE START PLANTING FLOWERS AND WHAT KIND AT THIS POINT. WE LIVE IN SUFFOLK VIRGINIA..HAMPTON ROADS AREA. ALSO WHAT DO I USE TO START MY GRASS IN MY YARD TO GROW AND GREENER..WE HAVE BERMUDA GRASS SO I DO NOT KNOW IF TO START SEEDING AND WHAT FERTILIZER. THANKS

0

Your average last frost date is March 29 so you can safely plant the first week of April. If you're starved for spring color you can plant cool temperature tolerant primroses, snapdragons, stock and pansies now, but it's best to wait until April to plant anything else. When your bermuda lawn begins to green up as the weather warms you can overseed or plant new grass seeds. You'll need to wait until after you have mowed the lawn 2-3 times before fertilizing it. This will give the new grass seeds a chance to establish their root systems and be ready to grow for you. I use Vigoro Ultra Turf Weed and Feed on my bermuda. It helps the lawn grow lush and thick and keeps weeds under control.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"