Brown Needles - Knowledgebase Question

Lebanon, Pe
Question by cabincreek4
My spruce tree is planted near the road.I suspect that Penn Dot

0

Colorado spruce, Norway spruce and white spruce are all moderately tolerant of salt and salt spray so that may not be the problem with your tree. I'd be suspicious if the browning needles are only on the side of the tree that faces the road, but if it's all over the spruce, there's something else going on. There's fungal disease called needlecast that can cause the same symptoms and there are spruce needle miner insects that can also cause needle browning. You may want to cut a branch that contains both healthy and browning needles and take it into your local cooperative extension office for positive diagnosis. Helpful staff will examine the material under a microscope and either confirm or eliminate the problems I've suggested. Once they figure out the problem they'll provide control options. Contact Lebanon Cooperative Extension, 2120 Cornwall Rd # 1, Lebanon, PA 17042-9790 phone:
(717) 270-4391. Good luck with your spruce!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"