Emerald Green Arborvitae - Knowledgebase Question

New Castle, De
Question by Ppridebill
I have 10 EGA trees 8-9 feet planted as a buffer between my property. They were planted 4 yrs ago. After 2 yrs one of teh trees had problems started thinning and losing color (turning brown). It seemed like the other 9 were doing well until this fall and now all of them are losing color and turning brown. I fertilized in the fall,and I have not been able to detect infestation, suggestions? help!

0

Brown foliage can be caused by a number of factors: summer drought, winter freeze/thaw cycles, insect and disease problems, root rot from soggy soils, or a combination of the above. It's really difficult to diagnose without being able to inspect the shrubs. You might want to clip off some of the healthy and affected foliage and take the samples into your local cooperative office for help with diagnosis. The staff can inspect the plant parts under a microscope and determine just what is going on with your arborvitaes. Contact the Master Gardener or Horticulture Agent at University of Delaware New Castle Cooperative Extension, 461 Wyoming Road, Newark, DE 19716 Phone: (302) 831-2506. Best of luck with your arborvitaes.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"