Onions - Knowledgebase Question

Fulton, Ke
Question by fshexpress
I have poor luck in growing Onions. They just don't do anything but put up green shoots and no bulbs over a half inch. I've tried to grow them in the ground, pots and in above ground planters.I've also tried seeds, bulbs and the starter shoots.

0

It may be that you are either planting at the wrong time of year or choosing the wrong type of onion for your gardening region. Onions grow in an unusual manner. They start growing the large bulbs we know as onions when the levels of daylight reach an appropriate level for them to start forming. The time that you plant the onions affects when they form bulbs. If you plant your onions too late in the season, they may not form bulbs properly.

An important thing to remember about onions is that there are two different classes: long-day and short-day onions. Long-day onions are more appropriate for northern states because they are adapted to longer days. In your gardening region, you should use short-day varieties of onions such as 'Candy' hybrid. Short day onions develop bulbs with an average of about 12 hours of daylight. You can start these from seed in January or purchase onion sets or transplants and plant them in March. Give 'Candy' a try this year and I think you'll have great results.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"