Growing Emerald artichokes - Knowledgebase Question

St Augustine, Fl
Question by unicornofatl
My artichoke seeds are sprouting in Jiffy pots w/ seed starting soil. I have a 10in pot, & I want to try & plant a couple of the seedlings in one pot. Will the 10in be enough or what is to house like 2 or 3 seedlings? Should I take the seedlings out of the Jiffy pots, or can I just plant them in that into the actual pot? When should I harden them to the weather & plant them into the big pot?

0

Artichoke plants get quite large so your 10 inch pot will accommodate only one plant. If you put 2 or 3 plants in the pot they will be overcrowded and with limited root growing space they will be stunted. Under those conditions they may not flower (or develop chokes) for you. I'd plant each one in its own 10 inch pot. You son't need to remove the Jiffy Pots. You can transplant Jiffy Pots directly into the ground or into containers. Because the rim of the pot can wick moisture out of the soil if it is exposed to the air, be sure to peel away the top half inch of the rim before planting or plan on sinking the Jiffy Pot at least a half inch below the potting soil surface. Best wishes with your artichokes.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"