Indian Hawthorne Branches Turning Brown and Dying - Knowledgebase Question

Pflugerville, Te
Question by monicaoberm
Help! I have had hedges of about 20 Indian Hawthornes for the past 10 years and they have done beautifully. I noticed that one of them started to develop brown, dry branches that look totally dead. This seems to spread to other branches and now the bush next to it also has dying branches. I do not see any spores, and the leaves do not have spots. They just die. Any advice? Thank you for your help

0

I can't tell from your description just what the problem might be but I do know that Indian hawthorn is susceptible to diseases, especially anthracnose, leaf spot and fire blight. Fire blight is the most destructive and the most common symptom are leaves that die but remain on the branches. They hang down as if they were killed by a fire. There's not much you can do to stop the spread of fire blight other than to try to prune out the infected plant material. I'd prune away anything suspect and then take a sample of the prunings to your local cooperative extension office for positive diagnosis and suggested control measures. In Travis County, contact:
Texas AgriLife Extension Service, Robert (Skip) Richter, Director, 1600-B Smith Road
Austin, TX, 78721 Phone: (512) 854-9600.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"