Volunteer Grape Vines - Knowledgebase Question

Burlington, Ka
Question by duanebauer
I have some volunteer grape vines that just won't produce grapes no matter what I do for them. Pruning and watering doesn't help. They have been growing for five years now. They will start to producing small glusters of grapes then the glusters disappear for no reason. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to encourage the vines to produce grapes?

0

Lack of pollination, water stress and fungal diseases can all cause immature grape clusters to wither and die. To encourage healthy growth, be sure to prune your grapes each winter (to remove any diseases plant parts and to ensure there's adequate air circulation within the plant to discourage disease development). Water your grapes on a weekly basis, and encourage pollinating insects by planting flowers that bloom at the same time your grapevines are producing flowers. You might also try thinning the grape clusters (remove one third to one half of the clusters). Thinning results in fewer clusters but those clusters will develop into larger and sweeter grapes. Hope these suggestions help and you have a great harvest this year.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"