grapes - Knowledgebase Question

brewster, Ne
Question by jodeoda
I have a fig tree transplantd appx 5-6 years ago.The mother tree was over 20 yrs old, and grew incredibly large!sweet figs! I moved and took some cuttings. They grow every year with beautiful leaves..NO FRUIT! One baby one ( smaller than a dime)appeared about 3 years ago..over the leaf. I understand the fruit grows under the leaf and we haven't seen anything since. HELP! We really miss our figs!

0

Start by having your soil tested. If it is too acidic or too alkaline, the fig tree will have trouble finding the nutrients it needs in order to grow and produce fruit. Too much nitrogen can stop fruit production, so don't feed your tree and see if that makes a difference. Finally, root pruning, while sometimes a drastic measure, can make your tree sit up and take notice - and also produce lots of fruit. Root pruning is a simple task. Just use a shovel and insert the blade its entire length into the soil, all the way around the tree, about 2 feet from the trunk. You'll sever some of the roots which will cause them to sprout. The new roots will take up moisture and nutrients and result in new top growth - and fruit production. Hope this helps your tree!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"