Flowering tree - Knowledgebase Question

New York, Ne
Question by joephyl64
I'd like to plant a flowering tree in a 30

0

Growing container evergreens (or overwintering container plants at all for that matter) is a challenge in a cold climate such as yours. The reason is that the roots are not as well insulated as they would be in the ground. This is made even more difficult on a rooftop where it tends to be extra windy and there is nonstop reflected heat and sun all winter. The sun adds to oscillating temperature differences when it heats the soil, and can scorch or dry the foliage for added stress on the plants. Crepe myrtle isn't a good choice but cold tolerant needled evergreens such as Arborvitaes and junipers might work. Or, you may want to plan on purchasing a tree each spring so you can enjoy it outdoors all summer, then remove the tree for the winter months, replacing it with a new tree the following spring. I might mention also that weight may be a concern, depending on the size of the containers, but for example a large concrete container filled with wet mix and a large tree can be extremely heavy -- you may need to check with your building engineer as far as how much weight can be accommodated safely, especially if this is an older building. I realize this sounds a bit discouraging, but your project is not a simple one. It may require some experimenting to get it right. Best of luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"