squash like plant - Knowledgebase Question

waianae, Ha
Question by jefjn4
i have what looks like a squash that has just bllomed started on a vine and is green started from white flowers that seem to bloom better at night what is this

0

I can't really identify the plant without seeing it but I wonder if it is a moonflower? Hawaiian moon flower (Ipomoea tuboides) is a species of morning glory endemic to the Hawaiian Islands. Found on all islands in the chain, it is a common sight along roadways and in fields throughout the state. It is a creeping vine, growing to 2 feet in height with a 10-foot spread. The leaves are smooth and heart-shaped, with a light chartreuse coloration. In early evening, the large, trumpet-shaped flowers open and bloom through the night, fading to pale lavender before wilting in early morning. Grown mainly for the showy look of its flowers, Hawaiian moon flower also has a pleasant, subtle scent.

If this doesn't describe the plant, why not take a picture of the leaves and flowers and post it on a public website such as Flickr. Send us another question with a link to the photo and we'll be able to access the picture and help identify the mystery plant.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"