Moving 2 Blackberries - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Jim Tomczak
Mobile, Al
Small perennial garden 8b-2011>
Question by JimT
Last late,late spring I Planted 1,Arapaho B.Berry & 1,Apache B.Berry. In the worst possable spot. They are both showing the very first sign of leaf buds.In zone 8 Mobile al. 36619,is it time to move them to a sunnier place? Down here the afternoon sun can cook just about any plant.Should I give the some protection and what part of our afternoon will be the least harmfull.JIMT.

0

Blackberries are native to the southern states and although your summer sunshine is hot, the plants can take the heat. In order to produce well, your plants will need a minimum of 6 hours of direct sunshine a day. If they get too much shade they won't produce well and they will be more prone to disease problems. Blackberry plants should be planted in February so you're not too far off in timing if you dig and move them now. Find a spot in your landscape that gets at least 6 hours of sunshine each day. If you're worried about the plants wilting in the late afternoon sun, try finding a spot that will provide shade from about 3 o'clock on. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"