What should I do? - Knowledgebase Question

St Augustine, Fl
Question by unicornofatl
My boyfriend?s mom had this plant, don?t know the species. I noticed a while back a white fungus on top of the soil & snails in & around the pot. Don?t know how they got there. It goes back & forth between growing & dying. I don?t know if its soil?s ever been changed. I never really knew how to care for it until I did research on plants for my potted garden. Is it diseased & how can I save it?

0

A white fungus on top of the soil indicates the soil is overly moist and the plant is either being watered too often or the drainage is poor. A fungal growth will be soft and fluffy. On the other hand, it is not unusual for potted plants to show a build up of minerals and salts. This residue sits on top of the potting soil but it is hard rather than soft. Whichever the substance on the top of the soil might be, you can get rid of either by repotting the plant in fresh potting soil. I think you'll see an improvement in the health of your plant if you repot it. It may be rootbound or the soil may be staying too wet. Try repotting in fresh potting soil and I think you'll see healthy new growth. Hope it's soon!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"