new garden - Knowledgebase Question

Philadelphia, Pe
Question by lisawms2k7
I am attempting to plant some flower seeds to spruce up my front lawn. How do I begin?

0

I'd start by amending the planting area with organic matter to get your seeds off to a good start. Begin by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your seeds and when they sprout and begin to grow, mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden. Best wishes with your new garden bed.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"