Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

North Miami Beach, Fl
Question by vanebrill1
My lawn has been neglected for a while and I have a lot of weeds. Under the grass I have a lot of rocks and sand instead of soil. How can I get my lawn in shape?

0

Your landscape is presenting some challenges! I suggest you aerate the existing lawn and overseed to help your lawn grow thick enough to compete with weeds. You could then apply a pre emergent herbicide to keep new weeds from germinating. As your lawn thickens up you can either spot treat the perennial weeds or dig them up over the course of the summer. Rent a core aerator for the job. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn (if you have bermuda or any turf other than St. Augustine). As the lawn becomes established over the summer months you can begin to raise the soil level so you're not contending with protruding rocks, which can make mowing especially difficult. The way to do this is to simply spread an inch (or less) of topsoil over the entire lawn. Wait for the grass to grow up through it and then add another inch (if necessary). You can eventually renovate your lawn if you follow the above advice. Be sure to put your lawn on a regular feeding, watering and mowing schedule to help it grow lush and thick. Best wishes with your project.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"