MARIGOLDS - Knowledgebase Question

freeport, Ne
Question by spaceflute65
I HEARD THAT PLANTING MARIGOLDS WITH TOMATOES IS A GOOD IDEA. WOULD CALENDULA HAVE THE SAME EFFECT AS REGULAR MARIGOLDS DO IN PROXIMITY TO TOMATOE PLANTS? I ASK THIS BECAUSE CALENDULA IS ALSO REFFERED TO AS ENGLISH MARIGOLDS.

0

French marigolds can help repel nematodes so if your tomato plants are historically attacked by soil nematodes, planting marigolds next to the plants can help repel nematodes. Calendula has similar repellant properties but it affects different insects. In the case of calendula, you'll be repelling tomato worms. I think companion planting is a lovely way to bring bursts of color to a vegetable garden and attract beneficial insects in addition to repelling destructive insects. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"