Hedges - Knowledgebase Question

Bethpage, NY
Question by ryanappleto
To whom it may concern,

My wife and I recently purchased a house in Bethpage, NY. The previous owner was instructed to move an 8 foot fence that was improperly placed over the state owned line. The fence has subsequently fallen down and its condition does not warrant repair. We would love to plant a row of hedges spanning this 50ft length of fence that would offer adequate sound reduction from the bordering expressway. A height of 12 feet or so would be desireable. Any suggestions you have would be great. Thank you. Ryan

0

I'd plant Arborvitae (Thuja Green Giant is a great choice). These plants grow about 3' a year and will top out at about 20' in height; 10 feet in width in your growing region. You can plant them at 5-6' apart and they will fill in nicely to become a thick, dense privacy screen. American Holly is another suggestion. If you shear these shrubs on an annual basis they will become thick and dense. They, too, are fast growing. I'd plant them 4-5 feet apart. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"