Living screen - Knowledgebase Question

Saginaw, MI
Question by hvtool
I have 90 ft of my back yard that i need to grow a screen from a unsitely back area. I dont have much depth in the back yard. I need to use some thing tall,dense and not real wide in diameter. What are my options.

0

In your gardening region, Arborvitae are the best choice for a tall, narrow evergreen hedge. Height and spread will depend on the variety. Emerald Arborvitae will grow to 10 to 12 feet with a spread of 3 feet. Techny (Mission) Arborvitae can reach 10 to 15 feet and obtain a spread of 5 to 6 feet. Other options include upright hollies such as 'Sky Pencil', 'Red Beauty' and 'Dragon Lady'; upright boxwoods such as Elegantissima, the upright Japanese plum yew 'Fastigiata', or a columnar Japanese plum. Choose the plant with a mature width that most closely matches the growing room you have in your back yard. All of these shrubs take well to pruning if you need to keep them slightly smaller than their normal height and width. Best wishes with your new privacy hedge!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"