Chinensis purple pixie loropetalum - Knowledgebase Question

Harrisburg, NC
Question by iamrekincaid6
I live in the Charlotte NC area and had 8 purple pixies planted last July. They lost all their leaves over the winter and show no signs of life. Shouldn't they show some kind of life by now? They just look like sticks. The weather here has been nice for well over a month now.

0

Purple Pixie Loropetalum is hardy in zones 7-10 so they're safe in South Carolina but not always hardy in North Carolina. Your zip code places you in USDA zone 7B so you're on the coldest edge of their growing zone. If you had an exceptionally cold winter or if the plants were exposed to ice or freezing winds, you may have lost the plants. Since you don't see any new growth it won't hurt to prune them back a bit. Pruning encourages new growth and if the roots are still alive, the plants will respond with new growth a few weeks after pruning. While you're pruning, look for green tissue in the stems (green is good!) I hope your plants recover and you get lots of healthy new growth. If not, you may need to replace them.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"