dwarf flowering almond shrub. - Knowledgebase Question

Hanover, MA
Question by klemieux
I recently purchased a dwarf flowering almond shrub with beautiful pink fluffy pom pom type flowers. Some of the flowers are starting to brown and I was wondering if this is normal or do you think I might have planted it in a bad location? I am not familiar with this shrub and would like some care advice. Thank you!

0

Flowers can turn brown as they age or if they have been subjected to spring rains (which tend to make they brown a little sooner than usual). I don't think there's anything wrong with your new shrub. For some background information, dwarf flowering almond (Prunus glandulosa) is a multi-stemmed, deciduous shrub that can boast single or double blooms. The flowers appear in profusion in April on graceful stems that soon are decked with green, oblong leaves.

Your flowering almond will grow best in full sunshine but will tolerate morning shade and afternoon sunshine. They prefer moist, well drained soil so regular watering is necessary. To help conserve moisture, you can place a 2-3 inch layer of compost or other organic matter under the shrub, but be sure to keep the mulch about an inch away from the trunk or main stems of your plant so there's good air circulation around the trunk.

Flowering almond can sometimes set fruit but you can control this by pruning your shrub back after the flowers begin to fade. Pruning the stems back will result in lots of new growth, which will flower for you next spring.

Hope this answers all your questions. Enjoy your new shrub~

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"