lawn fertilizer - Knowledgebase Question

Saratoga Spr, NY
Question by kmay1
I put down Scotts Plus 2 and should have used Halts to stop crab grass from growing. What can I put down now that I've fertilized to stop crab grass from growing? If I use the halts now I'm afraid I might burn out my lawn as I will have fertilized twice.

0

I agree with your concerns - you won't want to use a fertilizer with crabgrass preventer now. Not only will you burn your lawn with the second application of fertilizer but a pre-emergent such as Halts won't kill crabgrass that has already begun to grow. Plan on using Scotts plus Halts next winter/spring to feed and prevent crabgrass from germinating. At this point you can use a product such as Bayer Advanced All In One Weed and Crabgrass Killer. Used according to label directions it won't harm your lawn. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"