Hidcote Lavender - Knowledgebase Question

South Lyon, MI
Question by bowhead1
I put in 10 plants of Hidcote Lavender last year. I was told not to cut them back in the Fall. Will the new growth come from the base of the plant or does it grow on the old plant? If it comes from the base of the plant, how far down should I cut the dead stuff from last year. Thank you.

0

Hidcote lavender is one of the hardiest lavenders around but it can still suffer winter damage so pruning should take place in the spring, just as new growth begins. If new growth comes only at the base of the plant, you can safely prune the entire plant back to the level of new growth to remove the dead stems. Don't be in a hurry to prune, though - it's possible you'll also see new leaves emerging from the bare stems. I'd wait another 3 weeks before pruning away the winter kill. This will give the plants ample opportunity to show you where you need to prune to remove the winter damage. Hope this clarifies things for you. Best wishes with your lavender.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"