My Monet Weigela - Knowledgebase Question

South Lyon, MI
Question by bowhead1
I bought 3 of these last year and planted them in the same flower bed. About one month after I planted them, one of the plants' leaves turned brown and fell off. I scraped a little of a branch to see if it was alive, and it was. Eventually, half of the plants leaves came back. Then it happened to the second one, and none of the leaves came back. The third one was okay. Now that Spring is here, one has all its leaves, one has none, and one has half of it's leaves. I would like to replace the two but need to know what happened and what do I do so this doesn't occur again? Thank you.

0

What you describe sounds more like environmental stress than an insect or disease problem. Transplant shock can cause the symptoms you describe and winter damage can be the reason for twig and branch dieback resulting in no leaf development this spring. I'd be inclined to prune the two non-performing plants back to encourage healthy new growth. I think once the roots have an opportunity to establish themselves this summer your weigela will make it through the winter with less stress and will develop healthy new leaves next spring. Best wishes with your shrubs.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"