Beets - Knowledgebase Question

lankin, n
Question by jsherek
I have beets in my garden and the left part is healthy but the promlem is when I harvest the beets half the shell of the beet is eaten up - by a slug I believe.

0

Slugs usually feed above ground, not below the soil level so I think rather than slugs, your beets are being damaged by white grubs. Grubs are common in many garden plots and this time of year you can usually dig down into the soil and find them. Be sure to destroy any you find! There are a couple of products you can use to control grubs in your vegetable garden: Grub X and Milky Spore should be readily available in your local nursery, garden shop or well stocked hardware store. Be sure to use according to label directions. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"