Rose of Sharon - Knowledgebase Question

lorain, oh
Question by polishprince1
Have lots of rose of sharon. This year have under them, lots of seedlings(?)! I was told rose of sharon may drop seeds but this has not happened in the past. Should I allow them to grow? Does this bush reseed itself?? At our church we have a large brick planter box, in sun, under the eave, not much rainwater! The planter is filled with potting soil. Where would the best place to plant these be? We change the soil every other year.

0

Some varieties of Rose of Sharon are sterile and others produce lots of seeds. Sounds like all the conditions were just right for your plant to produce seeds this year. You can dig and transplant the little seedlings now, or you can wait until the weather cools this fall - or next spring. Rose of Sharon grows best in full sunshine with some irrigation during the growing season. I'd dig and replant them now, being careful to provide some temporary shade to the new little plants for a week or so after replanting. This way they can concentrate on establishing their roots without having to deal with the hot summer sunshine. Or, you can wait until this fall or next spring to dig and transplant them. Either way, sounds like you're going to have lots of new plants. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"