tree roots - Knowledgebase Question

Saginaw, Mi
Question by ghmj707
i had two trees that i removed, one last year and one 2 years ago.popular trees.the root systems of both trees are evading my yard.these little shoots are poping up all over my yard.how do i get rid of them? thank-you

0

I wish there were an easy answer to the problem! The sprouts are emerging from some leftover roots from the trees you removed. The roots have lots of stored energy and will continue to send up sprouts until all that stored energy is depleted. If you prune the shoots off as soon as they emerge, especially before they develop leaves, the roots will eventually run out of stored energy and they will die out. But, if you allow te sprouts to develop leaves, the roots will collect and store the energy from the sun. So, continually cutting the sprouts will, over time, kill the roots. If you want to hurry things up a bit you can paint Round Up or Brush B Gon on the stubs immediately after you cut off the sprouts. The chemical will be transported down to the root and will kill off that section of the root system. Obviously, more shoots will appear until the entire root system dies. This process can be labor intensive, but it does work. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"