Weeping pussy willow and weeping cherry - Knowledgebase Question

Paxton, Ne
Question by spicandspan_
I PLANTED A WEEPING CHERRY AND A WEEPING PUSSY WILLOW LAST YEAR. NEITHER OF WHICH REALLY DID ANYTHING. THEY BOTH SHOT UP SHOOTS FROM THE MAIN BRANCH FROM THE BOTTOM. I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN REMOVING THESE SHOOTS. NEITHER TREE LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE COMING OUT OF IT AND THE WEEPING CHERRY LOOKS DEAD BUT NOT SURE. THE PUSSY WILLOW MAIN BRANCH IS GREEN 1/3 THE WAY UP AND THEN LOOKS DEAD. NOT SURE WHAT I CAN DO FOR THESE TREES THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. CAN I SAVE THEM?? WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG AND IS IT TOO LATE TO HELP THEM AT ALL?? THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

0

When the tops of trees and shrubs die back due to environmental or cultural problems the roots usually remain alive (they're protected, deep in the ground). So, in the spring when the trees wake up and discover the tops are dead, they'll send up new sprouts from the roots in an effort to replace the dead tops. These suckers can be allowed to grow until they become several feet tall. At that point you can choose the sturdiest looking sucker and prune out all the rest. This sucker will become the new trunk of your tree or shrub. Since you have little to no growth on either your pussy willow or weeping cherry, you may want to simply prune them back to allow room for one of the suckers to grow into a new plant. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"