japanese beetles - Knowledgebase Question

Throop, PA
Question by unclejoe33
japanese beetles destroy many of my shrubs and trees every year. i treat my lawn for grubs and use sevin spray as much as possible; however, they seem to get the best of my yard. is there anything else i can do to prevent this?

1

It often takes a two-pronged approach to control Japanese Beetles. Although you've treated your lawn, it's possible that the adults are emerging from a neighboring yard and flying over to feast on your plants. If you can talk to your neighbors and make it a team effort to treat all the lawns at the same time, you should have fewer problems next summer. Milky spore, Bacillus popilliae, is a disease-causing bacterium that is effective against grubs of Japanese beetles. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Carbaryl (Sevin 50WP) will control the adults but I prefer to use something a little less powerful. Try neem oil (Bonide Bon-Neem or Green Light Neem Concentrate) or cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer Concentrate) or permethrin (Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-Purpose Insect Control Concentrate). These are labeled for use against Japanese beetles on landscape plants. As with all pesticides, read and follow all label instructions and precautions. Best wishes with your eradication project!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"