Fall planting - Knowledgebase Question

amherst, ny
Question by babskobler
I am planning a rock garden and I want to put small perennials in. Can I plant any perennial in the fall.

0

Most perennials can be planted in the fall, as long as you allow enough time for the roots to become established before freezing weather hits. In your gardening region, September is a good month to plant. If you can get your new plants into the ground within the next week, they should have time to establish before winter weather arrives. If you can't plant them now, you might want to stick with hardy bulbs such as crocus and daffodils. Planting these bulbs now will provide you with spring color in your new rock garden and you can plant your perennials when the soil warms up in the spring. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"