Topiary - Knowledgebase Question

Slippery Rock, PA
Question by sonya0
I have several large bushes in front of my house that I would like to have shaped (topiary style...nothing crazy, maybe spirals or something like that). They are presently either boxy or egg shaped--they are larg (huge)e and ready for someone that has the ability to make them awesome! But.... can not find anyone in the area that does that and I know if I try I'll end up cutting too much and end up with a stump. Do you offer this service or know someone who does? I live on a main and heavily traveled road in town (the Homecoming Parade is in two weeks and goes right in front of my house)...I would be willing to post a sign for everyone to read (advertisement) in front of my house. I really want to have something cool and exciting that everyone will talk about! Thanks. PS. my property was just declared an official Bird and Butterfly Wildlife Sanctuary...and I want to really bling it out and hope to get others in town to do the same!

0

I like your idea of having your shrubs pruned into topiaries and you're right - it takes a lot of training to be able to make the right pruning cuts. Probably your best source of certified arborists or professionals specializing in topiaries is your Penn State Cooperative Extension office. (101 Motor Pool Way, Butler, PA 16001-3545 Phone: 724-287-4761 Fax: 724-287-5911). You can speak to the horticulture agent or to a master gardener and as for their recommendations for such a professional. You might also phone your local nurseries and as for their recommendations. Between these two sources you should be able to find a reasonable and qualified professional to turn your shrubs into spectacular focal points. And, congrats on earning the Bird and Butterfly Sanctuary certification!! Way to go!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"