spreading compost on lawn. - Knowledgebase Question

Bay City, Mi
Question by tomdclements
I'm getting compost from a municipal yard waste area. I would like to know if middle to late fall is a good time to spread over my lawn? My grass is very nice and I use organic fertilizer (Espoma and/or Milorganite)products and want to add some compost. I also mulch leaves into my lawn but want to know if adding compost this time of year is beneficial or wait until spring.

1

You can spread compost on your lawn 2-3 times a year. Fall is a good time to do so (spring and summer are the other optimal times). It's important to apply only about a quarter of an inch of compost at a time, and to rake it in well to move it down to the soil surface. After application and raking, you should not see a layer of compost on the grass blades. Best wishes with your project!

Name: J.R. Baca
Pueblo West Co. ( High Dessert (Zone 6a)
A comment from josebaca

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"