making finished (or nearly finished)compost bacterially dominated - Knowledgebase Question

Bay City, Mi
Question by tomdclements
December 5, 2011
I want to add compost to my lawn. My compost pile is not nearly large enough so I have to rely on Municipal yard waste facility compost. Grasses prefer bacterially dominated compost so can I add grass clippings or alfalfa meal to the finished compost to make it work or do I have to reintroduce shredded leaves into it to make it work all over again. I'm guessing that the compost is fungally dominated and as I said , I want to make it bacterially dominated.

December 5, 2011

0

You are absolutely right. To make an organic compost with more fungi, mix in larger amounts of cardboard, paper, sawdust, wood shavings and heavy stalk plant material as you prepare the compost. For bacterial dominance, use food waste, green plant waste and livestock manure. (Most worm composts are highly bacterially-dominated because they are fed food scraps.) Whatever compost you use, be sure it is finished, well-stabilized compost, and that it's fairly fresh.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"