flowers - Knowledgebase Question

US
Question by doocrew
My daughter is working on a flower business. She is trying to research which annuals are best to plant for cut flowers to sell, when to plant them, and how long they last.
She wants to start after the first frost and have plenty to last to last fall.
Any advice on this? Any direction would be great. Thanks.

0

There are many annuals you can plant for cut flowers. Calendula, Helianthus, Lathyrus, Chrysanthemum, Cosmos, Gypsophila, Gomphrena, Statice, Marigold, Zinnia, Aster, Snapdragon, and Pincushion flower are all good choices. You did not indicate your Zip Code so I have no idea when your average last frost date might be. As a result, I can't suggest when to plant your seeds or transplant any seedling starts you might purchase, but the rule of thumb is to plant about two weeks after your last expected frost. When you're choosing seed packets you'll find lots of information on the backs of the packets about when to plant and when to expect your plants to flower. This will help you decide which seeds to plant early in the season and whether or not you'll want to plant the seeds all at once or plant just a few seeds every two weeks for a succession of blooms all season long. I'm sorry I can't be more specific about which flowers to grow or when to plant them but without knowing which part of the country you're gardening in, I can only give general suggestions. Hope you find it helpful! Best wishes with your cut flower project.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"