weeds - Knowledgebase Question

lorain, oh
Question by polishprince1
Have a Wildflower garden,perenials,Lots of weeds,mostly CLOVER! What can I do to get rid of them?Yes I know I could start over,thought you may have some ideas to save whats there now ! THANKS,again,STEVE

0

As beautiful as a wildflower garden can be, unless the planting is really thick, weeds will find their way into your garden. Since we normally want our wildflowers to reseed so new plants will come up each year, pre-emergent products like Casoron are generally not recommended (pre-emergents keep seeds from sprouting). Still, there are a few ways to control these interlopers. You can pull them up as they appear - while they are small and before they flower and set seeds), you can spot treat them with an herbicide (or carefully spray with vinegar), or you can try smothering them by laying several thicknesses of newspaper or a piece of cardboard over them. I've also had good results with torching and with repeatedly cutting them down as soon as they appear. If you hoe them down on a regular basis the roots eventually run out of energy to produce new tops and the weed dies out. Hope one of these methods works for you and you are able to restore you wildflower garden to its former beauty. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"