mosquito plants - Knowledgebase Question

Rossville, Ga
Question by jcar292
I have seen and heard of these plants.Are they effective and do you stock them?
Thank you

0

Mosquito Plant is a genetically engineered geranium hybrid (Citrosa Geranium, sometimes called Citronella Geranum). It is widely available and easily grown as a potted patio plant. It has attractive foliage and a sweet lemony scent. ,

The Mosquito Plant was created by a Dutch botanist, who genetically incorporated traits of the Chinese citronella grass into a scented African geranium. The resulting cultivar still had the growth and habit of the geranium, and its sweet lemony citronella scent. Citronella is the substance in citronella candles, which have long been used to deter mosquitoes. It doesn't harm them, but they don't like citronella and avoid it. It is most effective as a repellent if you crush a few leaves and rub them on your skin. This releases the citronella and a sweet perfume.

I'm sure you'll be able to find Mosquito Plants in your local garden center.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"