evergreen fence - Knowledgebase Question

mercer, pa
Question by dittrichrl
Hello, I asked this question in the 'contact us' section-I apologize. I didn't see this ask a question section!
I am wanting to plant an evergreen fence. It would be facing south and we have no other trees in the yard. It would be mostly sun/part shade. What is a good evergreen for this project? I like the tall skinny evergreen pines but would like a fast growing kind. I cannot have one that grows past 15 feet because of power lines to the house at 20 feet. I would also like to know your price on them. I have a section of 35 feet to cover (to block out neighbors who keep everything (and I mean everything) in their yard! HELP! Thank you.

0

In my opinion, 'Emerald Green', 'Techny' and 'Wintergreen' Arborvitae are some of the best upright evergreens for screening. The emerald green arborvitae is an evergreen tree with bright emerald green foliage. It can reach a height of thirty feet and have a spread of about eight to ten feet. They can be trimmed to reduce the height and can grow at a rate of about four feet per year. When young, the emerald arborvitae has a bright green color to its foliage which darkens as the plant ages. The techny arborvitae is a fast growing arborvitae and generally have denser foliage than many of the other species of arborvitae. Because of this, I think they make the best hedges. Techy is one of the hardiest of the arborvitae, and can be pruned into hedges for an excellent screen or windbreak. They will grow to a mature height of fifteen to twenty feet and a mature spread of four to six feet. When planted exactly three and a half feet apart in a row, the techny arborvitae will grow to be a full shield in only a few years. Wintergreen is a columnar pyramidal that grows 20 to 30 feet in height; 5 to 10 feet in width. Noted for its good green winter color. An excellent choice for hedge or screen, space 3 feet apart. Hope this information helps you choose just the right shrub for your privacy fence. I can't quote you a price but a phone call to your local garden center will give you the current pricing. Best wishes with your new plants!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"