Weed killer that is ok for use on juniper - Knowledgebase Question

Soddy Daisy, tn
Question by ktharvey
Which weed killer can be used on juniper plants? I bought some Ortho Weed-B-Gon but it says do not use on groundcovers. I just want to get rid of the weeds not the plant. Thanks!

0

Junipers are sensitive to some herbicides so I'm glad you took the time to read the label on the Weed-B-Gon before using it. The best approach for a weed-free groundcover is to prevent the weeds from popping up in the first place. You can either spread a thick layer of mulch between the plants or use a pre emergent such as Preen for Groundcovers. This should be applied in mid=March and again in mid-September. Hand pulling existing weeds is labor intensive, but the safest approach to getting rid of the weeds without harming your juniper.

If you want to use a chemical approach to removing existing weeds, you can use a post-emergent such as Vantage. The Vantage label lists specific plants on which it can be used: Chinese juniper and shore juniper are listed on the Vantage label but Juniperus horizontalis is not.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"